CCL Regional Network
- The Economic Alliance of Lewis County is facilitating a partnership between TransAlta and Fortescue Future Industries (FFI) to potentially bring a hydrogen plant to the Centralia area. For more information, please read the article in the Centralia Chronicle.
- The Capital STEM Alliance Executive Steering Committee held its first meeting on May 12 to share goals and objectives for the near term. For more information and to access all meeting materials, please click on this link.
- ESD113 is pleased to introduce Cecily Kiester as its new Career Connected Learning Regional Administrator. Cecily will focus on building K-12 CTE and STEM career pathways and will join the Capital STEM Alliance to bring STEM and trade opportunities to all youth in the region. Welcome Cecily!
- The Washington State Building and Construction Trades Council, as part of a Career Connect Washington grant, is circulating a youth survey throughout Washington State. The purpose of this survey is to help better understand the needs and ways to communicate apprenticeship opportunities to youth in Washington. The findings from this survey will be used to raise awareness for post-secondary options, such as state registered apprenticeship programs. Surveys should be completed no later than 6/17/22. The survey can be found here: Building & Construction Pathways Survey. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Randall Friesen at: [email protected]
- Last week, Elma High School, in partnership with AJAC Aerospace, Vaughn Company, A and R Aviation and Sierra Pacific, launched youth apprenticeship in Grays Harbor. Youth apprentices will have paid, on the job training, complete a 2000hr journey level certification, earn fifteen college credits, and core academic high school credit during the workday. Superintendent Chris Nesmith and his staff are excited to share the video from Youth Apprenticeship Signing Day. Much like athletes signing for an athletic scholarship, Elma is celebrating the commitment these students, industry partners, and families have made in investing in the rest of their lives. To access the signing video, please click on: https://youtu.be/TPSBe7FMMeU
- Mason County Consortium
- The Shelton Youth Connection is hosting its 2nd annual Pride Party on June 24th from 3-7 p.m. at 123 South Second Street in Shelton. This event is for LGBTQ+ youth ages 12-24 and their allies. For more information, please contact Amanda at 360-462-0125.
- The Early Learning Coalition of Mason County is holding a summer kickoff carnival and Family Fun Day from 11:00-2:00 on Saturday, June 18th at Kneeland Park, 100 Turner Avenue, Shelton. For more information or to access the flyer, please click on this link.
- Lewis County Thrives
- Lee Montgomery, of the Lewis County Juvenile Court, presented information about justice-involved youth and the variety of supports, programs and services available to them and their families. To access the presentation please click on this link to zoom recording.
- Congratulations to Christine Zhang from Olympia High School, on being selected as a 2022-2023 Washington STEM Rising Star Award finalist! Washington STEM Rising Stars are high school freshmen, sophomores, or juniors who identify as girls/young women, who embrace STEM education, and who explore STEM in ways that will support their education, career, personal development, and the development and needs of others. These young women are thinkers, scientists, engineers, inventors, entrepreneurs, and leaders who have inspired others with their STEM experiences, in and outside the classroom. Many thanks to Ms. Stacy Udo, Teacher-Librarian at Olympia High School, who nominated Christine for this award.
- The Network is proud to partner with Timberland Regional Library and ESD113 Teaching and Learning staff on an Early Math Engagement pilot program beginning this September. Selected Timberland Library branches will have approximately 20 early math backpacks available for checkout. Each backpack will contain a variety of early math activities and materials, resources and books to be enjoyed by adult caregivers and children ages 3-5 years. In addition, ESD113’s regional administrators in early learning, math and special education will offer companion professional development to early educators in locations included in the pilot to better align and support early math concepts and learning strategies.
- Yelm Community Schools is hosting its second annual STEMKAMP 2022 Family Day on August 12 at Yelm Middle School. The STEMKAMP team is inviting STEM professionals from throughout the Capital region who can share information about upcoming career exploration and preparation opportunities (i.e. summer internships) and year-long STEM learning. This is a great opportunity to expose students and families to the wide world of STEM related careers!This is a US Department of Defense STEM Innovation grant with nine other districts across the USA. Goshen Education received this grant last year and will fund this camp for three consecutive summers. Yelm Community Schools hosts the only STEMKAMP in the state of WA! If you would be interested in setting up a table at this event, please contact [email protected] for information. More information at this link.DATE: Friday, August 12, 2022
TIME: 8:30 AM set up. Parents and students will have access from 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
LOCATION: Yelm Middle School 402 W Yelm Ave., Yelm, WA 98597
AUDIENCE: Students in Grades 3-8 and their families
For more information, please click on this link to the STEMKAMP flyer.
- Shelton High School celebrated the official opening of its new Manufacturing Engineering & Technology (MET) Academy building on May 25 and is looking forward to expanding partnerships with local industries in the manufacturing and engineering sector. For more information, contact Gretchen Maliska, Shelton CTE Director at [email protected].